Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Positives

I know, WOE is me (speaking of the last post)! I always tell myself I need to be real on this blog here. I love teaching, but IT.IS.HARDperiod. I had a student scream in class today. Literally scream "IM ALREADY OWING MY RECESS TO THE ART TEACHER!!" (so you can imagine what I had just very calmly told her minutes before).

So I have been trying to notice some positives in the last few days. Here are some of my kiddos making me proud!


  • I heard another student say, "Are you okay? Can I help you?" to her shoulder partner. In a whisper. (We all know kids don't know how to whisper in August!)
  • I saw another student help his shoulder partner organize his things because he missed the first day of school.
  • Hugs. Usually they are given at the WORST times, like when everyone is supposed to be getting in line, but they always make me feel good :)
  • The kids thought I was hilarious today when I taught them maximum and minimum...we were flexing our arms and using our mini voices, and they were so cute (and silly). But they remembered it at the end of the day! WOO HOO!
  • And regarding my screamer I talked about earlier...I sent her into the hallway, and asked her to leave the room and calm down in the pod or to come in and work quietly. I thought for sure she would refuse. Nope, she came in, and wrote 3 or 4 paragraphs! Then, we had a nice conversation about how if she feels something is not fair, she needs to say "Mrs T., can we talk later?" instead of screaming. So we'll see what happens next time (pleasepleasepleasedon'tlettherebeanexttime!)

Phew, deep breath, six days down!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you :) Teaching is HARD, don't ever let anyone tell you differently! But it is always good to focus on the positives. It will get easier as the year progresses...hopefully!

    ReplyDelete