Friday, April 8, 2011

Need Suggestions

It's nearing the end of the school year for us (we end May 25th) and the kids are getting ancy! As I've talked with other teacher friends it seems we have a talking epidemic on our hands. The kids have to TALK to follow EVERY direction. I try not to get to bothered by it because I have a LOT of social and "energetic" students, but at the same time, I am SO SICK of counting down so that they will be ready. I feel like I'm having to give directions over and over again because someone is ALWAYS talking. I feel like they don't respond as a whole to positive OR negative consequences. I've tried awarding cat cash to kids sitting quietly, saying thank you to kids that are doing what they are supposed to, and taking class points when we talk, or having kids change their cards when its one or two students. It's always during transitions, and when I have them practice, they can do it correctly during the practice, but then they fall apart right afterwards.

I don't know what else to do! Meanwhile, I have some kids that shut down emotionally when they have any consequences at all (yep, THAT's fun!), so I feel like I have to walk on eggshells with them (no parental support either).

Any new and fun ideas to help curb the talking?


2 comments:

  1. Wow...you just described my classroom to a T right now. I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I'll be happy to see what others have for suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes changing things up for my {1st grade} class works. I use table points each week and the table with the highest number of points at the end of the week gets to pick from the candy jar. Recently I have added an Easter basket with filled eggs at the front of my room. When I spot someone doing what they should I tell them to go pick an egg out of the basket. This tends to help for a bit, but truthfully...I think the talking comes with the Spring! Hope these help!?!
    Allison
    www.room-mom101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete